Formal job creation under ESIC up by 2.8% in April ‘23

This resulted in adding 1.78 million new employees, compared to the 1.73 million workers added in March this year

June 20, 2023

Approximately 30,249 new establishments were registered in April 2023 under the Employees' State Insurance Scheme (ESIC)

Employees up to the age of 25 accounted for 47% of the total workforce in the formal sector

0.35 million female employees were registered under the scheme in April

63 transgender employees also joined the scheme during that month

Formal job creation within the Employees’ State Insurance Scheme (ESIC) demonstrated a monthly growth rate of 2.8% in April FY24, according to Ministry of Labour and Employment data. This added 1.78 million new employees, compared to the 1.73 million workers added in March this year.

ESIC’s provisional payroll data revealed that approximately 30,249 new establishments were registered in April 2023, thus expanding the social security coverage under the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation.

In April, employees up to the age of 25 accounted for 47% of the total workforce in the formal sector under ESIC. Among the 1.78 million new formal workers added in April, 0.83 million were youth employees.

Regarding gender diversity, 0.35 million female employees were registered under the ESIC scheme in April. Moreover, 63 transgender employees also joined the ESI scheme during that month, as the Ministry of Labour and Employment reported.

Employees earning up to INR 21,000 per month contribute 0.75% of their wages, while employers contribute 3.25%. This combined contribution of 4% is utilized to provide medical and cash benefits to employees and their families. As of January 2023, the scheme had 33.9 million insured persons and 131.6 million beneficiaries.

The ministry highlighted that these statistics demonstrate ESIC’s commitment to extending its benefits to all segments of society. It is important to note that the provided payroll data is provisional due to the continuous nature of data generation.

Source: Economic Times

Recent Articles

Tata Neu and Paisabazaar pilot credit disbursals on ONDC

June 17, 2024

Tata Group’s super app Tata Neu and credit marketplace Paisabazaar …

Read More

Modi and Macron strengthen defence ties, emphasise ‘Make in India’

June 14, 2024

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron agreed …

Read More

Surge in foreign firms registering in India, Aviation and Engineering lead

June 14, 2024

Airlines and engineering companies are at the forefront of foreign …

Read More